Thursday, February 20, 2014

Quilt in a Box


Square #1 of a pizza box exchange quilt left me today...it will come back home at the end of the year full of 12 1/2" blocks made by my friends of the Have Knots, Will Travel quilt group. I am absolutely terrible at keeping secrets, so I hope no one asks what I made for them. (Of course, they might just find the beans spilt right here on the blog...) I did a variation of the Friendship Star pattern. This quilt just seemed to need that pattern :)


This is the other project I have under the needle. The raspberry orange block on the left was the first 2014 BOM from the local quilt shop that is way way too close to my house. Instead of the 12 1/2" block, mine is 20" finished. I made the half-square triangles from 5 7/8" squares. The pattern is Barbara Fritchie Star, I was so inspired by the pattern and color, I decided to make a small children's quilt from 4 - 20" blocks (and probably a border). Not being able to wait for the February meeting, I cut out more half-square triangle blocks to make the Depression Square pattern. Those two patterns just seemed happy together. The fabric from A Nimble Thimble for our block of the month is the green in between the monkeys. How did she know that would be a perfect fit across from my Depression Square block??

Alternate layout of the squares....

I think I like how the dark green frames the corners. The turquoise and green are from my hand dyed stash. 

I did flip 2 blocks after this picture was taken. Funny what you see in print that you don't always see in real life. Guess I'm off to sew this up quickly, before I start rotating blocks around again or cut into the fabrics I was marinating over.

Happy coloring,
Tana

No comments:

Post a Comment